Firearms Licensing & Information



Resident Firearms Licensing Information

Applications for FID cards and Licenses to Carry firearms are processed by the Central Records Office. Resident Application/Information Packets may be downloaded or be picked up in person at the police station. In order for an application to be processed, the applicant should bring the completed application and a check/money order (NO CASH) for $100.00 made payable to the Town of Falmouth to the Central Records office between 8:30am and 5:30pm (Monday to Friday). Closed Holidays.

Non-Resident Firearms Licensing Information

Firearms Transfer: Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal (FA-10)

Massachusetts General Law c. 140, §§128A and 128B, requires all individuals who sell, transfer, inherit, or lose a firearm to report the sale, transfer, inheritance, or loss of the firearms to the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services Firearms Records Bureau (FRB). This on-line system will allow you to report the sale, transfer, inheritance, or loss/theft data electronically to the FRB. Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System

Change of Address

Use this form to notify the Firearms Record Bureau that your address has changed: Change of Address Form

Legal Information

Massachusetts Firearms Registration & Laws (Select “Firearms Records Bureau” on left): Firearms Support Services, approved Weapons, approved firearm safety/locking devices, Firearms Safety, Gun Laws, Taser Regulations, and Approved Basic Firearms Safety Courses.

FID Cardholder-Federally Prohibited Person Notification

Federal Laws, Regulations, & Rulings

Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2014

Massachusetts Fish & Wildlife: Guide to Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping (includes related gun laws)

FID Cards Issued Prior to October 21, 1998

FID Cards Issued Prior to October 21, 1998 have Expired- Please check your Mass Firearms Identification Card (FID). During the summer of 1998, the Massachusetts Legislature enacted sweeping changes of the state’s firearm laws including the FID Cards that were issued without an expiration date. A person who lawfully owned a firearm, rifle, shotgun, feeding device and/or ammunition on or after October 21, 1998 must reapply for an appropriate License to Carry Firearms (LTC) or Firearms Identification Card (FID). If a firearms license is denied, suspended, revoked or expired, then all firearms, rifles, shotguns, feeding devices and/or ammunition must be lawfully transferred to a properly licensed person or surrendered to the Falmouth Police Department. Please contact the department with any questions at 774-255-4527.